Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dragon's Prophet

Lately I've been playing a game called Dragon's Prophet. I've covered it a few times in the past, doing a couple of press previews and writing a "First Look" article. I've got to say I've always been fascinated with the concept with the game, ever since I first heard of it. I even purchased a $40 Dragon Pack in anticipation of the great dragon-backed adventures I would have.

My first introductions to the game was through the Taiwanese version. Plenty of times in the past I've played the foreign versions of games before their North American release to get idea of what they were like. I've done it with ArcheAge, Swordsman Online, Age of Wushu, and many others. So, I did the same with Dragon's Prophet and I have to admit I had a lot of fun playing this early version of the game. There were some bugs, of course, and some things I wasn't a big fan of. But I did enjoy it.

When it came time for the press previews, things seemed to be going well. I noticed that some things had been improved since my time in the Taiwan closed beta version of the game. I was still excited. Unfortunately, by time the closed and open betas came around, which was when I wrote my First Look, things were looking grim. Promised features were months and months away from being implemented, the starting areas of the game felt way too cramped for a game that focused on riding on the back of dragons (often flying). And overall it just felt like another quest grinder that wouldn't amount to anything, but I still optimistic and decided I would just forget about the game for a bit and then come back at a later time.

Well, almost two weeks ago I decided it was time to come back to the game. Or should I say, I logged into Team Speak to find that several of my guildmates had downloaded the game and I decided to join in on the fun. The first two days were great, we had a blast and it seemed like a great game. Unfortunately, after that we found out (via a friend of mine that is a vet of the game) that Dragon's Prophet was a bit "pay to win." This put a damper on our moods, and in the end resulted in two of us quitting. However, two of us decided to remain and we've been having a blast.

We know we probably wont be so optimistic later on down the line, but for now we're having fun capturing dragons, completing epic boss battles, and seeing how far we can get before the "Pay to win" aspect ruins it for us. Neither of us are afraid to put a bit of money into the game, so we've unlocked dragon slots, extra inventory/bank space and some other convenience features.  We've both bought houses and have found that we quite enjoy the housing system available in the game.

So, lately this is what I've been playing. I'll write a few more in-depth posts over the next week or so, probably include a lot of screenshots as well. Till then, see ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment